Healthcare Industry Exploration Day
September 25th, 3 - 6:00pm in the Kennesaw Campus Student Center
KSU is bringing together hospitals, graduate medical schools, and other healthcare organizations to provide students the opportunity to learn about internships and full-time positions in a variety of healthcare related fields.
We encourage students of all majors to attend this event. From IT to marketing, all organizations want to recruit the best of all concentrations.
Tips from your Career & Internship Advisor
How to Prepare
Download the KSU Career Fair + app (free download for Apple and Android devices) to see the list of registered employers for the upcoming Career Fairs. This will give you the list of all of the firms attending the Career Fair with descriptions. This way you will be able to do your research to determine which firms you'd like to meet.
- All firms attending each of the Career Fairs are uploaded to the app, along with a description. Once table assignments have been made you will be able to star your companies of interest and easily locate them, but more importantly...DO YOUR RESEARCH...
- Do research inside this app, but do not stop there. Find the organization's website to learn more about the company, mission, and any open positions listed on their website, under Careers, Employment, About Us or similar sections.
- Use other websites to do research as well. Many employers will have a presence on LinkedIn, where you can learn more about them and even explore who is already employed there and the backgrounds and professional experience of those people.
Develop Your Elevator Speech
How to create a unique elevator speech for each employer:
1. Hi! I’m (your full name). I’m a/an _______________________ major, graduating in _______.
2. Next say something interesting about yourself, something that will impress this specific employer.
- I just completed an internship with ¬(company name) in the _____________Department. It was amazing…
- I have a 3.5 GPA and have always excelled academically.
- I am the President of ___________, (describe the organization: purpose, # of students…)
3. Wrap it up by expressing your interest in the employer:
I am very interested in working with you because…(insert your research)
4. Finally: May I give you my resume?
Practice, Practice, Practice: Know your Elevator Speech & say it with ease…
NOTE: Do not leave without...Requesting a business card, so you are able to write a thank you note withing 24 hours. Always attach your resume.
Your resume needs to be perfect: no spelling or grammar mistakes, reverse chronological order, everything aligned.
- Resumes should be printed on "resume paper," a slightly heavier paper that typically has a watermark. This paper is available at stores like, Staples, Office Depot, and Walmart.
- Always bring more resumes than you think you will need. You never know how many employers will stop you and introduce themselves or employers that you decide you'd like to meet.
Dress for Success
Present yourself in a professional manner - dressing professionally is one of the keys to making a great first impression!
- Matched, skirted (knee-length) or pants
- Blue, gray or black
- Wear neutral hose if you wear a skirt
- Neutral, opaque, modest: no cleavage
- Always closed toe
- Heels no higher than 2”
- Toned down, subtle
- Earrings: Studs are best
- Avoid perfume
- Clear or pale polish
- Blue, gray or black
- Not too baggy & not too tight
- Pants hemmed, so they sit on the top of your shoes (Dry Cleaners will do alterations)
- Neutral colors: blues, white
- Make sure your shirt is ironed; it may need to be dry cleaned
- Windsor knots are best: Check out YouTube for how to tie ties videos
- Polished, not scuffed
- Clean shaven is best; goatees & mustaches should be trimmed conservatively
- It’s a good idea to review employer websites to see acceptable hair lengths/styles; most business professions are conservative and will expect you to have a conservative hair style (e.g. no ponytails, no shoulder length hair…)
MEN & WOMEN
- Must be covered up
What To Bring With You
- Purchase a leather or pleather portfolio for your resumes
- Include a pen & extra paper for notes tucked inside
- Smiles & eye contact to make a great impression
- Firm handshakes for both men & women
- Always pick up a business card when you meet with an Employer, so you can write a thank you note within 24 hours incorporating the notes you’ve written after speaking to an Employer.
- We have a bag check, so you can always leave your backpack, purse, coat, or other items there. Be unburdened as you navigate the career fair floor
The employer list is available in your Handshake account.