Hiring Student Workers
Hiring a student worker now takes place in Handshake, KSU’s Career Management System. Students rely on Handshake for finding all types of jobs including Student Assistant, Federal Work-Study (FWS), Grad-Assistant, and Internship positions. Note, All FWS positions posted in Handshake will be reviewed and approved by the Financial Aid Office (firstname.lastname@example.org).
While the front end of the hiring process will take place in Handshake, hiring managers will continue to work with Human Resources to on board new student employees, select start dates, and to ensure they will be paid.
We’ve outlined the steps below:
- Register in Handshake as an employer contact with Kennesaw State University (KSU).
Having trouble? Visit “Getting Started with Handshake,” contact us at email@example.com or call 470-KSU-INFO (470-578-4636).
- Once registered, you will be approved by us to post your positions.
- Unwanted notifications? Customize your notification preferences.
- To create a dept. name as a Division within KSU (ex. Sports and Recreation, Criminal Justice Dept., ESSM.) email firstname.lastname@example.org with the dept. name or acronym.
- You are now ready to post jobs in Handshake!
- For a faster student application choose Apply through external system and attach a URL of your office application. This will bypass students resume approval by the DCPD office.
- Run your interview and selection process with the candidates who have applied to your position in Handshake (feel free to encourage students to apply to your posting by sharing the link to your position).
- Once you have selected the student(s) you would like to hire, please complete the SEHF form and send it to Human Resources at email@example.com.
- Wait for confirmation from Human Resources, and messaging about the onboarding process.
- Send “Thank you for applying” Handshake messages or emails to all applicants not hired.
If you need any additional assistance with this process, please contact our office. We've also provided some resources and tips below to help you make the most of your experience working with student employees.
For any additional assistance, please don't hesitate to contact our office.