Hiring Student Workers
Hiring a student worker now takes place in Handshake, KSU’s Career Management System. Students rely on Handshake for finding all types of jobs including student assistant positions, Federal Work-Study (FWS), graduate assistant positions, and internship positions. Note: all FWS positions posted in Handshake will be reviewed and approved by the Financial Aid office (email@example.com).
While the front end of the hiring process will take place in Handshake, hiring managers will continue to work with Human Resources to onboard new student employees, select start dates, and to ensure they will be paid.
We’ve outlined the steps below:
- Register in Handshake as an employer contact with Kennesaw State University (KSU).
Having trouble? Visit “Getting Started with Handshake,” contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 470-KSU-INFO (470-578-4636).
- Once registered, you will be approved by us to post your positions.
- Unwanted notifications? Customize your notification preferences.
- To create a dept. name as a Division within KSU (ex. Sports and Recreation, Criminal Justice Dept., ESSM.) email email@example.com with the dept. name, abbreviation, or acronym.
- You are now ready to post jobs in Handshake!
- For a faster student application choose Apply through external system and attach a URL of your office application. This will bypass students' resume approval by Career Planning and Development.
- Run your interview and selection process with the candidates who have applied to your position in Handshake (feel free to encourage students to apply to your posting by sharing the link to your position).
- Once you have selected the student(s) you'd like to hire, please complete the SEHF form and send it to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wait for confirmation from Human Resources, and messaging about the onboarding process.
- Send "thank you for applying" Handshake messages or emails to all applicants not hired.
For more information about student employment at KSU (including the hiring process through HR, pay structure, and using OneUSG), please visit https://studentemployment.kennesaw.edu/.
If you need additional assistance, please contact our office. We've also provided some resources and tips below to help you make the most of your experience working with student employees.
For any additional assistance, please don't hesitate to contact our office.