Spring 2022 Program Dates for Employers
- The application opens on Wednesday, December 1, 2021
- Closes on Friday, January 7, 2022
- The Spring Program will be hosted in person, March 7-11, 2022 (Spring Break).
Summer 2022 Program Dates for Employers
- The Application opens on Wednesday, May 4, 2022
- Closes on Friday, June 3, 2022
- The Summer Program will be hosted in person, August 8-12, 2022.
Kennesaw State University strives to provide students with an array of experiential education opportunities outside of the classroom. The Owl Job Shadow Program provides students with a one-day shadow experience to help them explore different career opportunities and see what it is like to work after graduation.
How Does it Work?
- Connect classroom learning with workplace experience
- Broaden the view of opportunities for the students at many different companies
- Create a starting point for learning how to network with professionals
- Practice professionalism and business etiquette
Benefits of Program to Employers:
- Publicity for your company to the students
- Opportunity to share information about your company and how it runs daily
- Help students in their career exploration see different paths they can potentially take
- Meet potential future interns, co-op students, or employees
- Share information with students from different majors that could potentially work at your company in different areas
- Highlight benefits or unique perks to working for your company and show them what a work culture can be like
Answers to some of our most frequently asked questions:
Q: Who can apply to the Job Shadow Program?
A: Any employer can host students in a non-home location. KSU offers more than 150 majors and a diverse group of students with different career aspirations, which opens doors for all employers in various industries to participate in the program.
Q: What is the Matching process?
A: You must complete our short survey application form. The survey asks you to indicate your time preferences, colleges, how many students, and other requirements.
- After submitting the survey, our team will review the field and will be available for students to apply during their application submission period. Staff members from the department will review applications and determine best matches between student applicants and hosts. Although we make every effort to connect students with hosts, please be advised that we do not always have a student participant to match every host.
- You will be notified of your matching status three weeks before the actual job shadow dates designated for the semester. If a match is made, you will be provided with information about the student.
Q: Can I host more than one student?
A: Yes! We welcome employers to host more than one student if the job shadow schedule can accommodate multiple students to experience the opportunity
Q: What would be my responsibilities as a host?
A: You are responsible for creating a schedule for the shadow opportunity and introducing the job shadow to the various facets of your profession. The schedule can include showing them what a typical day at your job consists of, a tour of the organization, attending meetings, a networking lunch with staff, and/or answering questions about your career field and work environment. Please keep in mind that the Job Shadow Program is meant to be a learning opportunity and a chance for our students to gain valuable exposure to potential career fields of interest and work environments, while also an opportunity for you to showcase your organization and introduce students to your industry.
Q: How long are the job shadows?
A: The job shadow experiences are typically 3-5 hours, but employers can have a maximum 6 hours of shadowing.
Q: The dates for the Job Shadow Program do not work with my schedule. Can I host a student another day?
A: If you wish to provide a shadowing opportunity outside of the dates of our program, you are encouraged to reach out to our office at Careerctr@kennesaw.edu
Employer Application Instructions
You may only apply during open registration periods. Each employer must fill out an
application for participating in the Owl Job Shadow Program by the associated deadline.
Your company must be approved in Handshake in order to participate in this program,
and we do not accept any in-home or residential shadow opportunities.
KSU appreciates our alumni and organizations that host shadowing opportunities for students.
- Aaron's Tech
- Atlanta Film Society
- Czarnowski Display Service Inc.
- Feminist Women's Health Center
- Georgia Department of Transportation
- MetroPower, Inc.
- Mutual of Omaha
- Norfolk Southern
- Open Hand Atlanta
- Primus Builders
- THS National
- Tidwell Group
- WellStar Health Systems
- Woodruff Arts Center
- Yamaha Motors Corporation
" The Job Shadow Program is truly an exceptional experience for students who do not yet know what they really want to pursue. I wish I knew about this program earlier in my college career."
- Kaia Ellis, Chemistry Major
"I've never had a negative experience since working with this program and I'm absolutely delighted that every year we're able to add our name to the list of organizations available for job shadowing."
- Empower Cherokee, 2020 Job Shadow Host
“We thoroughly enjoyed the students shadowing us. We would gladly do this program again.”
- WellStar, 2020 Job Shadow Host
“It was an excellent kick-off for me to start my career planning. I didn't need to have much pressure to get experienced, get a sense of the job, and connect with employers.”
- Sujeong Kim, Public Relations Major