Job Shadow Program
Summer 2022 Job Shadow Application Dates for Students
Opens May 2, 2022
Closes May 30, 2022
Dates for Summer 2022 Job Shadowing are August 8 - 12, 2022
Kennesaw State University strives to provide students with an array of experiential education opportunities outside of the classroom. The Owl Job Shadow Program provides students with a unique shadow experience to help them explore different career opportunities and see what it is like to work after graduation.
How Does it Work?
Benefits of Program to Students
- Visit a company to see how it runs on a daily basis
- Get a real look into different career paths you can potentially take
- Use this time as a “pre-interview” for potential internship, co-op or job opportunities
- See different ways you can incorporate your major into a career
- See the specific benefits or unique perks to working for a specific company, and see what their work culture is like
- Practice using professionalism and gain some hands-on experience networking with other professionals
These opportunities will be available at a variety of companies during the dedicated job shadow week each semester.
- Each shadow experience can last up to six hours each day during the designated week.
- Students will apply to participate in the job shadowing week and, if selected, will be matched with an appropriate employer.
The objectives of this program include:
- Observation opportunities to see what a career field looks like “in real life”
- Connect classroom learning with workplace experience
- Broaden the view of opportunities for students at many different companies
- Create a starting point for learning how to network with professionals
- Practice professionalism and business etiquette
- Help to define potential career paths after graduation
This program is a definite "Win-Win" for everyone involved.
Answers to some of our most frequently asked questions:
Q: What are the requirements to participate in the program?
A: You must have a 2.0 GPA or greater, and must have completed one full semester at KSU prior to the shadowing semester.
Q: Can I choose which employer I want to shadow?
A: You cannot choose which employer to shadow. Based off your application and the participating employers, we will do our best to match you with the employer that best fits your career goals.
Q: What if I do not want to shadow the company that I have been paired with?
A: We will do our best to pair you with a company that matches your career interests and goals. Each company that has been chosen for the Owl Job Shadow Program will provide a worthwhile experience for each student. If you want to discuss your matches, please email email@example.com.
Q: What if I do not have a Handshake account?
A: You do! If you have not logged in before, you still have an account as long as you are an active Kennesaw State University student (or Alum). Make sure to activate your account at https://kennesaw.joinhandshake.com.
Alumni can access their account in Handshake Here. First time users must submit the form listed in link below.
Q: Can I edit my application once it has been submitted?
Q: What if I have an emergency on the day of the shadowing experience?
A: Please contact the Department of Career Planning and Development at 470-578-2724.
Q: How long will we be at our host company’s facility on the job shadow day?
A: Up to 6 hours.
Q: What happens if I do not show up for my assigned Job Shadow day(s)?
A: Unless there is an emergency, you will be held to the Department’s Job Shadow Program “No Show” policy. You can find a copy of this policy on our website here.
Student Application Instructions
You may only apply during open registration periods (see Important Dates at the top of the page).
Follow these steps to apply:
- Login to your Handshake account.
- Search for Owl Job Shadow Program in the Events.
- Click the "Register" button in the top right corner of the event.
- Complete the application in its entirety.
KSU appreciates our alumni and organizations that host shadowing opportunities for students.
- Aaron's Tech
- Atlanta Film Society
- Czarnowski Display Service Inc.
- Feminist Women's Health Center
- Georgia Department of Transportation
- MetroPower, Inc.
- Mutual of Omaha
- Norfolk Southern
- Open Hand Atlanta
- Primus Builders
- THS National
- Tidwell Group
- WellStar Health Systems
- Woodruff Arts Center
- Yamaha Motors Corporation
" The Job Shadow Program is truly an exceptionl experience for stduents who do not yet know what they really want to pursue. I wish I knew about this program earlier in my college career."
- Kaia Ellis, Chemistry Major
"I've never had a negative experience since working with this program and I'm absolutely delighted that every year we're able to add our name to the list of organizations available for job shadowing."
- Empower Cherokee, Job Shadow Host
“We thoroughly enjoyed the students shadowing us. We would gladly do this program again.”
- WellStar, Job Shadow Host
“It was an excellent kick-off for me to start my career planning. I didn't need to have much pressure to get experienced, get a sense of the job, and connect with employers.”
- Sujeong Kim, Public Relations Major