Job Shadow Program
Fall Virtual Job Shadow Application Dates for Students
Opens Monday, October 11, 2021
Closes Friday, November 5, 2021
Dates for Fall Virtual Job Shadowing are December 13 - 17, 2021
Kennesaw State University strives to provide students with an array of experiential education opportunities outside of the classroom. The Owl Job Shadow Program provides students with a one-day shadow experience to help them explore different career opportunities and see what it is like to work after graduation.
How Does it Work?
Benefits of Program to Students
- Visit a company to see how it runs on a daily basis
- Get a real look into different career paths you can potentially take
- Use this time as a “pre-interview” for potential internship, co-op or job opportunities
- See different ways you can incorporate your major into a career
- See the specific benefits or unique perks to working for a specific company, and see what their work culture is like
- Practice using professionalism and gain some hands-on experience networking with other professionals
- Job shadowing opportunities will be available at a variety of companies during the dedicated job shadow week each semester (see "Important Dates" above for the dedicated weeks).
- Each shadow experience can last up to 6 hours on one day of the job shadowing week.
- Students will apply to attend a job shadowing opportunity and if selected, will be matched with an employer based on the student’s listed preferences.
The objectives of this program include:
- Observation opportunities to see what a career field looks like “in real life”
- Connect classroom learning with workplace experience
- Broaden the view of opportunities for students at many different companies
- Create a starting point for learning how to network with professionals
- Practice professionalism and business etiquette
- Help to define potential career paths after graduation
This program is a definite "Win-Win" for everyone involved.
Answers to some of our most frequently asked questions:
Q: What are the requirements to participate in the program?
A: You must have a 2.0 GPA or greater, and must have completed one full semester at KSU prior to the shadowing semester.
Q: Can I participate in more than one day of the job shadowing week?
A: You can request to participate up to 5 days. We will try to assign you as many days as possible, but cannot guarantee how many of your top choices you will match with. You may also apply and participate again in a future semester.
Q: Can I choose which employer I want to shadow?
A: You will be given the option in the application process to rank your top 5 choices. We will do our best to pair you with as many of these choices as possible.
Q: What if I do not want to shadow the company that I have been paired with?
A: We will do the best we can to pair you with one (or multiple) of your top 5 company choices. If you are matched with a company outside of these choices, we will contact you first to discuss other options. Each company that has been chosen for the Owl Job Shadow Program will provide a worthwhile experience for each student.
Q: What if I do not have a Handshake account?
A: You do! If you have not logged in before, you still have an account as long as you are an active Kennesaw State University student (or Alum). Make sure to activate your account at https://kennesaw.joinhandshake.com.
Alumni can access their account in Handshake Here. First time users must submit the form listed in link below.
Q: Can I edit my application once it has been submitted?
Q: What if I cannot go to one of the Owl Job Shadow Orientation Workshops?
A: Each participant in the Owl Job Shadow Program must attend a pre-experience workshop. If you are unable to attend one of the available workshops, please email firstname.lastname@example.org BEFORE those dates.
** If you participated in the Owl Job Shadow orientation in the past, you DO NOT have to attend again.
Q: What if I have an emergency on the day of the shadowing experience?
A: Please contact the Department of Career Planning and Development at 470-578-2724.
Q: How long will we be at our host company’s facility on the job shadow day?
A: Up to 6 hours.
Q: What happens if I do not show up for my assigned Job Shadow day(s)?
A: Unless there is an emergency, you will be held to the Department’s Job Shadow Program “No Show” policy. You can find a copy of this policy on our website here.
Student Application Instructions
You may only apply during open registration periods (see Important Dates at the top of the page).
Follow these steps to apply:
- Login to your Handshake account.
- Search for Owl Job Shadow Program in the Events.
- Click the "Register" button in the top right corner of the event.
- Complete the application in its entirety.
KSU appreciates our alumni and organizations that host shadowing opportunities for students.
- Aaron's Tech
- Atlanta Film Society
- Czarnowski Display Service Inc.
- Feminist Women's Health Center
- Georgia Department of Transportation
- MetroPower, Inc.
- Mutual of Omaha
- Norfolk Southern
- Open Hand Atlanta
- Primus Builders
- THS National
- Tidwell Group
- WellStar Health Systems
- Woodruff Arts Center
- Yamaha Motors Corporation
" The Job Shadow Program is truly an exceptionl experience for stduents who do not yet know what they really want to pursue. I wish I knew about this program earlier in my college career."
- Kaia Ellis, Chemistry Major
"I've never had a negative experience since working with this program and I'm absolutely delighted that every year we're able to add our name to the list of organizations available for job shadowing."
- Empower Cherokee, 2020 Job Shadow Host
“We thoroughly enjoyed the students shadowing us. We would gladly do this program again.”
- WellStar, 2020 Job Shadow Host
“It was an excellent kick-off for me to start my career planning. I didn't need to have much pressure to get experienced, get a sense of the job, and connect with employers.”
- Sujeong Kim, Public Relations Major